Entries in ornament (13)
I went back and painted a second, darker version of the Shoggoth Snowman. No one told him snow is supposed to be white ...
Between the branches of every Christmas Tree there is a spot that cannot be filled with pretty glass, Santa Claus, or tinsel. In that space, that terrible place, only "shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light" will do. Shoggoths love Christmas. This one found a hat and a carrot, likely dropped by someone running for his life, and has taken the shape of a snowman as best it can.
The Shoggoth Snowman is a new ornament for this year's holiday season. You can find him in the Etsy shop here.
Brian and I both paint our various ornaments. Most of the ornaments have just one painting pattern, so we both paint them exactly the same. When I told him I wanted to try painting different patterns on the Cthupid ornament, he smiled and said he had a great idea. I left him alone in studio for a couple of hours, and this is what emerged. Behold! A Cthupid with rainbow wings wearing leopard pajamas! Hee hee! I put it up for sale in the Etsy shop with the rest of them. :)
We started painting the Cthupid ornaments. I couldn't decide on colors, so I tried several. Here are three of mine, Brian is still working on his own ideas so I'll post his once he has one finished. These three are up for sale in the Etsy shop.
Cthulhu + Cupid = Cthupid! I'm just trying to think ahead to ornaments for Valentine's Day. I sculpted the original over the past week, made a silicone mold of it overnight, and poured the first cast this evening. Paint choices up next ...
I'm almost too late for new stuff this year, running out of shipping days before Christmas! But I've been working on this one for a while, so here it is. The Snowflake Cthulhu! I sculpted the original some time ag0, and made a mold. When I tried to cast it in ultracal (like I do for all my other ornaments) it came out way too fragile. My first attempts wouldn't even come out of the mold in one piece. I could cast it in resin, which would be a lot stronger, but that stuff creates a lot of fumes. It is generally recommended that you cast resin in a garage or other outdoor sort of workshop. But it also doesn't set well in below-freezing temperatures, so casting resin in my garage this time of year just isn't going to happen. That's when I found Aqua-Resin. The stuff isn't cheap, but it's non-toxic. No fumes at all, as far as I could tell! And now I have the very first Snowflake Cthulhu ready to go. I painted it in iridescent acrylic for sparkly goodness. Because, you know, if you're going to go insane you might as well be sparkly while you're at it. I have this first one for sale in the Etsy shop right now, and I'll make as many more as I have time for, before the season comes to a close.
Because everyone needs a Christmas tree covered in blood, right? Multiple sizes will soon be available for sale in the Etsy Shop ... get your anisocytosis here!
The mold for the snowman ornament turned out well, I just tried pouring the first cast of it today. Moving right along, up next is the flying spaghetti monster! I gave him a santa hat and tried to make his spaghetti look like the curls of Santa's beard. Now I have to make the mold for this one, and then we'll see how a cast looks painted. Right now all the parts of him seem to blur together, to my eyes. But once I've got one painted it should look better. I hope.
It's October! Which means I am already behind on all of my Halloween projects. The felted pumpkins class at the local library begins this Wednesday, so we're packing up supply kits for students and felting up a couple more demo pumpkins. In the meantime, I started working on Christmas ornaments a little bit. If I don't start them now, it'll be December before I know it and I'll be REALLY behind.
I made a better mold of last year's bas-relief style Santa Cthulhu, and started pouring a few of them in Ultracal. Last year I used the mold as a push-mold for polymer clay so I could touch up each one before baking. This year I figured it'd just be smarter to touch up the original and make a better quality mold, then pour casts. These were the first few, they look pretty good! Now they're just waiting for painting.
Then I started working on another original. I love making the Cthulhu Snowmen ornaments, but they are so time consuming. I might make a few more of them (I have a plate ful of half-finished ones already) but for the most part I'm going to retire them in favor of the bas-relief style ornaments. Here's the snowman original I am working on. Once it's done, I'll bake the polymer clay, make a mold, and start casting! I use latex for my molds, so the mold-making process will take several days. But once it's done, it's good for quite a few casts before the quality even begins to deteriorate.